knew we were right!!
by Jim Ronga, D.C.
Twenty-five years ago when I first started to experiment with a vegetarian lifestyle, there wasn't very much support for this point of view from family, friends or health literature. Now there is much more† community support and the medical journals are definitely letting us know that this was the right choice!
- Every single study has proven that those who eat lots of fruits and vegetables are the ones least likely to get †cancer and those who eat the least amounts are most likely to get cancer.††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
- The more vegetables that you eat, the leaner you will be, which seems to defy the normal calories/weight equation.††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
- High consumption of soy products (about 400 gms/day) reduces premenopausal† women's levels of estrogen, a hormone related to breast cancer.
- Potassium-rich foods (avocados, bananas, carrots, tomato sauce, legumes) decrease blood pressure and prevent arterial strokes.††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
- Women who eat unrefined grains have a 15-20% lower death rate than those who donít.††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
- Diets high in antioxidants (as found in blueberries, spinach and strawberries) protect an aging brain from mental and physical deterioration.†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
- Mushrooms have substances
that can be potent against many illnesses, including cancer, and help speed
- High fiber diets reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. High fiber foods are only from the vegetarian domain.
- High meat/protein diets (like the Eskimos consume) produce much weaker bones than people whose protein comes from soybean and grain sources.
- Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cabbage can reduce the risk of bladder cancer by 50%.
- Green (and perhaps black) teas can contribute to lower rates of cancer by inhibiting the tumor cells from growing blood vessels.
- And even dark chocolate (a plant substance) may protect against heart disease because of the phytochemicals that it contains.
So, just as the American populace turned to alternative health care before the medical establishment investigated it, it is clear that the move towards vegetarian-based lifestyles was the right choice as the medical studies only now begin to show us the objective reasons why.
Food for Thought
A Veganís perspective
(Vegans do not eat any animal source food, or use anything derived from animals)
By, Dave Novakoff
Being a vegan is a constant search for information to educate, motivate, inspire and validate the plant-based lifestyle.† Where do we go for resources?† Who are our points of contact?† How do we disseminate information?† Without help it can be a tedious task to keep current and avoid the misconceptions inherent in our meat-centered culture.† For this reason, attending an event like the Veggie Celebration sponsored by the Vegetarian Society of South Jersey held on January 22, 2000 is one of the most important steps we can take to better ourselves and our society.
The presentation "Steps of Vegetarianism" by Jay Dinshah of the American Vegan Society focused on the evolution of vegetarianism towards veganism.† From Jay we learned that there are many reasons other than health that people eat plant-based foods.† What starts as health concerns for many begins to shift towards more philanthropic reasons as well. Because by eliminating animal products from our lives we automatically contribute to the solution of many other problems, concerning the environment, animal rights and spirituality.
Without a culture based on the oppression of animals for their material value, we reduce the negative impact on our environment of industries that rely on that cruelty.† Just a few of those problems are the pollution of waterways and oceans, the depletion of the ozone layer and the destruction of our rain forests.† Learning about these cause and effect relationships paints a picture of a world free from harmful chemicals, unnecessary suffering and diseases like cancer, arteriosclerosis and osteoporosis.†
When we talk about animal rights, the underlying message is always the elimination of a form of prejudice.† What we are really saying is that discrimination based on species or intelligence is not acceptable.† It is not our place to decide how and when an animal dies, but it is our choice to be a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves.† We simply respect an animalsí right to live freely and the best way to uphold this belief is not to eat them!
† At the core of any belief system or way of life is the desire for well being.† Because spirituality is simply a need to make sense of the world within and around us, it is no wonder that veganism also crosses this boundary.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† (contíd on page 7)†
- 2 -