kitchen gardening Here's a kind of gardening that yields a harvest every week! It's available 12 months per year, from the cold north to the warm south. It's fun. It's easy. It's healthy and delicious. It's sprouting!
The Ten Benefits of Sprouting
1) The Freshness Factor. Fresh living food has life-giving qualities that can't be matched by mass market, long distance agriculture.
2) Whole Plant. Locally Grown. Sprouts are the only form of agriculture where the whole plant, including the mineral rich roots, are consumed. Getting fresh, locally grown green food is a bonus for Northern populations.
3) Available Year-Round. Whether you live in Alaska or Florida, or are walking the Appalachian Trail, you can enjoy live, baby vegetables anytime of year.
4) 100% organic. No chemicals. No certification necessary because you're the grower!
5) Nutrition. As baby plants, sprouts are eaten at the peak point of nutrition in the plants' lifetime. They are a powerhouse of nutrients, enzymes and phyto-chemicals.
6) Economics. Because sprouts multiply 6--12 times their weight as they grow, 50 cents of seed yields 1 LB of fresh greens. Seeds store for 5--10 years. No petroleum, airplanes or transportation were added to the cost of this food.
7) Digestibility. Sprouts have delicate cell walls and abundant enzymes which makes them easy to assimilate even for those with weak digestion.
8) Flavor. Tender buckwheat lettuce, hearty baby sunflower, raddichio, garlicky chives and much more. About 30 possible varieties.
9) 100's of Recipes have been created using sprouts. More than just salads - dips, spreads, casseroles, dressings, sprout breads, cookies, crackers, even pizza!
10) No Green Thumb Necessary. It's Easy! Just add water. No soil. No bugs. Works with normal room light. Takes one minute of watering per day.
If you would like more information on sprouting, order a copy of “The Complete Guide to Sprouting”
ALL NEW edition by Steve Meyerowitz-”The Sproutman”. The complete how to guide to sprouting and kitchen gardening.
The Sproutman's guide to organic kitchen gardening shows you step by step, how to grow these delicious indoor greens and baby vegetables-just one week from seed to salad. This guide can make anyone a self sufficient gardener of sprouts that are bursting with concentrated nutrition. Includes nutrition charts. ISBN #1-878736-03-5 $12.95
PO Box 1100, Great Barrington, Mass. 01230
413-528-5200, fax 413-528-5201
"Sprouts have been my miracle food. Your book changed my life." ---M.H.
Good for one FREE Miso Soup with the purchase of an Entree.
Evergreen Health Cuisine
2087 E. Marlton Pike
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003
Must present VSSJ membership card.
The above coupon is a special gift to our members from Win the owner of Evergreen Health Cuisine.
The Evergreen recently opened in Cherry Hill at the Clover Shopping Center on Route 70 - 2087 E. Marlton Pike. (609) 751-8599
They were formerly located in Deptford near the Deptford Mall. Where VSSJ celebrated “The Great American Meatout” in 1997. They are listed as one of the nation’s most popular gourmet health and vegetarian restaurants in Vegetarian Times Magazine’s October issue. N.B.C’s (channel 10) Big Spoon Award, Four Spoons with Steve Levy. April 1997. “.....a restful vegetarian restaurant....” says The Philadelphia Inquirer.
Many more positive responses have been reported
over the years.
Their menu is a unique collaboration between two experienced vegetarian chefs. Their master chef, Mrs. Pong, created the menus and supervised the kitchens of a number of noteworthy health food restaurants, including Zen Palate of New York.
There are many dishes to choose from. Some of my favorites are: Crispy Stuffed Tofu, Treasure Island, Mama Pongs Special Sushi, Bar-B-Q Finger Licking, Eva Scallion Pancakes, Miso Soup and of course the Wonton Soup. Don’t let the names of some of them confuse you. You will not find any beef, pork, chicken or fish in your meal! Instead you will find a delicious substitution made with wheat gluten. If you don’t like to eat dishes that mimic meat based dishes there is plenty for you to choose from .
This is definitely a dining experience not to miss out on. However, plan on staying a while as it can take some time to get your food (depending on what you order) but it is definitely worth the wait!
Show your membership card and receive 10% off your bill.
We are in the planning stages to have a dinner here to welcome them to the area. Check the Calendar of Events for details.