This lecture was hosted by VSSJ on Wednesday April 24 at 7pm at the Margaret Heggans Library in Sewell NJ.
Kyleigh Heins, Wellness Program Coordinator at Jefferson Health NJ, presented an informative talk on the benefits of a plant-based diet.
Brownies and black bean salsa samples were enjoyed by all. Here are the recipes:
BLACK BEAN SALSA
Prep Time 10 minutes. Cook Time 35 minutes. Total Time 45 minutes. 8 servings.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn drained
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and cilantro.
2. Add olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir to combine.
3. Cover and chill for 30 minutes prior to serving to let flavors blend. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Fudgy Avocado Brownies with Cashew Yogurt
- Annie’s Organic Double Chocolate Brownie Mix
- ¾ of an Avocado, mashed well
- ¾ of Forager Vanilla Cashew Yogurt
- (or your favorite vegan yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Mash or blend to avocado to a yogurt-like consistency
- Mix together your brownie mix, mashed avocado, cashew yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of water together in a bowl
- Place mixture into a baking tin (place parchment paper inside the tin so that your brownies won’t stick
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes
- Take out of the oven to cool, cut your brownies, and enjoy!