On Friday, Nov 1, 2019 a group of VSSJ members headed over to Philadelphia to celebrate National Vegan Day at this biennial event. The following is a write up about the event from their facebook page.
The evening kicked off with vegan food tables featuring a wide variety of tasty offerings from: Atiya Ola’s Spirit First Foods; Batter & Crumbs Bakery and Cafe; Conscious Cultures Creamery; Crust Vegan Bakery; The Fairview; GoVegan Philly; LUHV Vegan Deli; Soy Café, and Vegan Chef Lenka Catering. After an hour of tasting and socializing we moved into the Friends Center’s big Meeting room.
The official mayoral proclamation of Philly Vegan Day was read by WHYY’s Jennifer Lynn, who also joined Eleni Vlachos, Richard Rogers and Christina Pirello as awards presenters. (Weavers Way donated vegan goodies as thanks to our presenters.)
The ballotted winners, as chosen by Philadelphia voters, are:
* Tastiest “Healthy” Item: Tomo Sushi and Ramen
* Best Vegan Entrée At Nonvegan Venue: Memphis Taproom – Roasted Mushroom Gyro
* Best Breakfast Treats: Dottie’s Donuts
* Biggest Increase In Vegan Options: Bourbon and Branch
* Best Midnight Snack: Triangle Tavern
* Best House-Made Burger: Luhv vegan deli
* Best Philly-Made Vegan Cheese: Conscious Cultures Creamery
* Outstanding Vegan Campaign or Event: Philly Vegan Restaurant Week
* Best New Vegan Restaurant: Go Vegan Philly
The Best Instagrammer award was a tie between Jen Collins and Christine Scalfo. Both Instagrammers have won dinner for 2 at Greyhound Cafe.
The life of vegan-food pioneer Alfoncie Austin was celebrated in a brief slideshow presentation. Last year’s lifetime achiever Rich Landau contributed a video clip to announce the Future of Food 2019 recognizing advances in vegan food from the new generation of Philly vegan chef/creators. which went to Stephen Babaki of Conscious Cultures Creamery.
Additionally, The Nile Café was honored as the longest-running vegan restaurant in Philadelphia. The Philly Vegan Awards will return in November 2021. See you then! (Photo: Robert Stolpe)