What’s Going on in the Plant-Based World – Week of 12/13/20
- Ben & Jerry’s has teamed with Colin Kaepernick for a new vegan ice cream flavor that supports the activist’s “courageous work to confront systemic oppression.” ‘Change the Whirled’ is set to debut in 2021 and includes fudge chips, graham crackers, and chocolate cookies swirled in a caramel sunflower butter base. Read more.
- Silk has launched its first vegan yogurt line specifically for kids, available in strawberry apple cinnamon, and mixed berry flavors. Read more.
- A federal court ruled that brown bears living in Kenai National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska should continue to be protected from hunting practices, including the particularly cruel bear-baiting. A spokesperson for the Humane Society said “even as we celebrate this court victory, we will continue our work full-steam to ensure that lawmakers fulfill their scientific, moral and legal responsibilities to conserve and responsibly manage wildlife on federal lands.” Read more.
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declined stricter regulations on particle matter pollution, which goes against scientists’ recommendations. Increasingly, data is showing that air pollution is linked to lethal outcomes from COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases. Read more.
- A new study of 1,400 seniors and Baby Boomers across North America has found 3 in 10 seniors are trying more plant-based foods due to COVID-19. Read more.