What’s Going on in the Plant-Based World – Week of 04/04/21
- PETA has sent a letter to Pope Francis urging him to encourage Christians to eat vegan this Easter, requesting he makes “it clear to all that the ways in which animals are abused on factory farms and inside slaughterhouses in today’s meat industry are un-Christian.” Read more.
- The results are in! Here is the complete list of the 2021 VegNews Veggie Awards winners. Read more.
- A celebrity-backed campaign #SaveVeganRestaurants has launched on Instagram to help the estimated one-third of vegan restaurants in danger of closing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The campaign will run throughout the month of April. Read more.
- Meet NoPigNeva, a recently launched Black-owned online grocery store that strives to provide shoppers with hard-to-find vegan groceries. “The pandemic really highlighted the fact that vegan options were not a priority to the big boys [grocery chains], so I decided to create a place where delicious, vegan food is the priority,” founder Stephania Bernard said. Read more.
- Trupo Treats is making vegan versions of your childhood favorite candy bars. “We started this company with a mission to provide vegan milk chocolate that people miss when they go vegan whilst also doing good for the environment and animals,” said co-founder Brian Trupo. Read more.