(Makes 9 squares)
These chunky blondies are a delightful way to finish a picnic.
- 1-½ cups unbleached or whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-½ teaspoons egg replacer, dissolved in 2 Tablespoons water
- One 6-ounce container vanilla soy yogurt
- ¼ cup soymilk
- ½ cup vegan granulated sweetener*
- ½ cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine flour, oats, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and stir together. Com-bine the egg replacer, yogurt, soymilk, and sweetener in another bowl and stir until smoothly blended.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir together until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips, raisins, and optional walnuts, and pour into a 9″ x 9″ baking pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden on top and a knife inserted into the center comes out only with melted chocolate, but not the batter. Allow to cool, then cut into 9 squares.
To pack for a picnic, arrange the blondies in a single layer in a flat, lidded plastic container.
*Note: some cane sugar is processed through bone char filters. See VRG’s article, Sugar and other sweeteners: Do they contain animal products?
Recipe from the Vegetarian Resource Group